Sunday, January 23, 2011

Running for office

Brothers,

As Convention draws nearer, I am disposed to offer what I feel is a necessary insight into the ups and downs of serving as a National Officer. I haven't heard much in the way of responses to a call for letters of intent to run for office, and thus have come to believe that not enough of you are considering it strongly. Truly, it is a worthwhile endeavor and a HUGE help to the Fraternity.

I'll get the downers out of the way first. Like any office, being a National Officer (NO) is a time commitment. You need to devote a small chunk of each week to maintaining the important duties of your office and developing the projects you're working on. You need to continually keep contact with other officers, Chapter officers, and Brothers in general.

It can be draining to be a National Officer. You might find yourself disappointed in responses to your inquiries, disappointed in the frequency of incoming communication, or eventually just burned out from spending your Psi-energy on business all the time. There are times when I need to refresh myself by calling up some Brothers and going out for lunch or drinks to remind me why this is so important and for whom I'm doing the work I do. I love my Brothers, and that's why I chose to take on a National office.

But it's entirely worth it. I get to give back to the Brotherhood that gave me so much. I get to help manage the organization that gave me the best friends I could ever dream up -- people who would stand by me in a heartbeat, give me a ride to the car shop and a loan to get it fixed so I can make my student-teaching in the morning; people who would invite me to spend a weekend at their place just so I could meet the rest of their Chapter and get a breather from being lonely in a state I'm not used to... I get to help give stability and direction to the organization that gave me a stronger purpose in college, a better appreciation for the music I've always loved, and a TON of awesome people to share it with.

It's also got some pretty good perks. I have a much easier time staying in touch with Brothers, new and old, because I'm a NO. People generally know who I am and how to get in touch with me when they want to, which helps me organize get-togethers and trips. I find that it's easier to get out of work for things like Convention and installations, etc., because I've got a role to play in Executive Committee. Oh, and it certainly doesn't hurt the old resume to have "National [Officer], Mu Beta Psi" on there.

And even the business side of my office can be fun. Despite the stress involved, I really love planning Convention. I enjoy scheduling things outside of the usual meetings, like workshops and luncheons. I like getting to know more about schools I didn't attend as a student, too. Most of all, I love reconnecting with Brothers on a Chapter level as we work together to plan our yearly gathering of the Brotherhood. Beyond Convention, I thoroughly enjoy the NEC. I have some awesome Brothers working as MALs and NOs in there. In all, being a NO ensures that I stay connected to my Fraternity in an incomparable way.

So consider whether you might want to give back to Mu Beta Psi by running for a National Office. If you have any questions about it, ask any of us. We'd be happy to help you learn more about how each office or the NEC as a whole works, and help you prepare to run for office.

In Brotherhood,
Garrett Cooperman
National President

1 comment:

Chrissy Fleming said...

I can second a lot of what Garrett said. I LOVED being NVPCM all those years, and even though the work was hard, it was very well-worth it.

Incidentally, I've been spending this weekend getting on top of all the NS stuff that has not been done since last Convention (there are a few of us to blame for that, we're all sorry). I was thrilled to find how extremely well-organized this office is, and how easy it is to pick up once you actually, you know, pick it up. People think of being NS as this grueling, thankless job, and it really isn't that at all (I'm as shocked as you are).

So you should be talking to me right now if you're thinking about taking this up. :)